William McGregor Paxton
William McGregor Paxton Gallery
William McGregor Paxton (June 22, 1869 ?C 1941) was an American Impressionist painter.
Born in Baltimore, the Paxton family came to Newton Corner in the mid-1870s, where William's father James established himself as a caterer. At 18, William won a scholarship to attend the Cowles Art School, where he began his art studies with Dennis Miller Bunker. Later he studied with Jean-L??on G??rôme in Paris and, on his return to Boston, with Joseph DeCamp at Cowles. There he met his future wife Elizabeth Okie, who also was studying with DeCamp. After their marriage, William and Elizabeth lived with his parents at 43 Elmwood Street, and later bought a house at 19 Montvale Road in Newton Centre.
Paxton, who is best known as a portrait painter, taught at the Museum School from 1906 to 1913. Along with other well known artists of the era, including Edmund Charles Tarbell and Frank Benson, he is identified with the Boston School.
Paxton was working on his last painting, a view of his living room at 19 Montvale Road, with his wife posing for him, when he was stricken with a heart attack and died at the age of 72. Related Paintings of William McGregor Paxton :. | The samovar | Girl Arranging Flowers | The new necklace | The New Necklace | Portrait of Louise Converse |
Related Artists:George Bernard O Neill
(1828-1917). Irish genre painterLorenz strauch
Italian Baroque Era Painter, 1600-1670
was an Italian painter of the Baroque era. She was unusual for Italian artists of the time for two reasons: first, in that her themes were mainly decorative and luscious still-lifes of fruits, vegetables, and flowers, and second, because she was a woman. Her training was with an otherwise unknown painter from her native town of Ascoli Piceno. She gained substantial success at her trade in Rome, Venice, Florence (1642-1651), Naples, and Turin. She was patronized by Cassiano dal Pozzo and the wife of Taddeo Barberini, Anna Colonna. In Turin she painted for Carlo Emanuele II, Duke of Savoy. She returns to Rome in the 1650s. In 1666, Garzoni bequeathed her entire estate to the Roman painters' guild the Accademia di San Luca, on condition that they build her tomb in their church of Santi Luca e Martina. Her tomb monument by Mattia De Rossi is to the right of the entrance. Laura Bernasconi was also a woman painter of still-life flowers in Rome in the 1670s. In Rome, she would have been a contemporary of Caterina Ginnasi. It is likely that in Naples she was exposed to the still-lifes of Giovan Battista Ruoppolo and his contemporaries.